The course is designed to give candidates the general fundamentals and knowledge about the general care and maintenance to keep engines on smaller vessels in good operational condition.
This course is also an excellent addition to any deckhand, mate or captain’s resume! Students come from all over the world for this course. It is open to everyone. The course is approved by the UK’s Maritime Coastguard Agency (MCA) is the first step into the engineering department of superyacht or small vessels.
Course Pricing – See All
- MCA Approved Engine Course (AEC1) – 5 Days – $1099.00
The objective of this course is to provide the candidate with the knowledge to serve in an entry level capacity in the engineering department or for a crewmember primarily working in another department to assist with engineering functions. This course is not a diesel mechanics course however, it does include the tearing down/rebuilding of engines.
This course is done in partnership with Maritime Professional Training (MPT) and will be conducted at MPT and utilizes their Engineering Labs
Classroom Training/Theory Subjects Include:
- Diesel engines
- Compression ignition engine (general principles)
- Cycle of operation and constructional details
- Fuel system
- Aspiration Methods: The role of air in the combustion process
- Cooling system
- Lubrication system
- Engine electrical systems
- Power transmission
- Hull fittings
- MARPOL Pollution legislation
- Code of Safe Working Practices
- Bottled LPG installations
- Fault finding and rectification
AEC 1 Course will therefore enhance your ability to perform the typical tasks needed onboard as an entry-level engineering department crew member or as a member of the deck department assisting in the engine room.