The Efficient Deckhand (EDH) course covers basic seamanship, rope work and wire work, rigging of stages and bosun chairs, maintenance routines, steering and duties of the lookout and the responsibilities of crew members under the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen.
- MCA Efficient Deckhand (EDH) – 5 Days – $1,115
- MCA Efficient Deckhand (EDH) – 6 Nights – $1,115
- 5 Day or 6 Night (4:30pm to 9:30pm)
- At least 17 years of age
- Hold a valid ENG1 certificate
- 6 months’ seagoing service in a vessels of 15m or more is required
- Hold one of the following:
- A IYT Limited or RYA Yachtmaster Offshore , or
- A Yacht Rating with at least 6 months’ seagoing service and a steering certificate, or
- An NWR certificate, or
- A Boat Master Licence (BML) Tier 1 Level 2 certificate, or
- A Tug Rating with at least 6 months’ seagoing service and a steering certificate or an NWR Certificate, NOTE – before an EDH certificate can be issued, a minimum of 6 months’ seagoing service in vessels of 15m or more is required.
The Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) must now be completed as part of the OOW certification. On Day 5 or Night 6 – Consists of a practical and oral examination.
The Course Covers:
- Basic seamanship
- Splicing of rope and wire
- Deck safety
- Hatch covers
- Rigging of stages and bosun chairs
- Cranes and derricks
- Lookout/watch keeping duties
- Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen