ECDIS is now a mandatory requirement for Officer of the Watch, Chief Mate and Master (Yachts) <500/3000gt.
If you are applying for a Master Code Vessel < 200gt, CoC and have not completed an MCA-approved ECDIS course you will receive the following limitation: “not valid for service on ships fitted with ECDIS.”
5 Days / 6 Evening Classes (4:30pm to 9:30pm)
- Minimum age of 19 years old
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 Tons OR Yachtmaster Offshore
- 10 Students (max)
The course will cover the general principles of operation of an Electronic Chart System and the regulations for the operation and will include time spent on basic software learning the methods of setting up, updating and loading new charts and software.
- Use, Installation and Correction of Electronic Charts
- Validity of Sensor Data (including radar overlay)
- Potential Errors of Interpretation
- Selecting Operation Settings and Alarms for Route Monitoring
- Navigational Calculations
- Route Planning and Scheduling
- Accessing Ship’s Log and Data Playback Functions
- ARPA, AIS and Trial Maneuver Functions
The Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) course is also a required part of the Advanced Navigation requirement for the Chief Mate/Master license. Training in safe navigation using Electronic Chart Display & Information Systems (ECDIS) is now a requirement in the STCW-2010 Manila Amendments for all mates and masters standing watch on vessel fitted with ECDIS.