ECDIS is now a mandatory requirement for Officer of the Watch, Chief Mate and Master (Yachts) <500/3000gt.
If you are applying for a Master Code Vessel < 200gt, CoC and have not completed an MCA-approved ECDIS course you will receive the following limitation: “not valid for service on ships fitted with ECDIS.”
- Prior to taking this course, mariners should be experienced in coastal navigation and be familiar with navigational computer operations. Mariners will benefit from prior experience in collision avoidance on ARPA and Radar (strongly recommended), Ship Handling, Bridge Resource Management are helpful as well.
The ECDIS Course is approved by both the USCG, the MCA, and the Marshall Islands and is recognized by many maritime administrations to comply with the IMO requirements to complete a 40 hour generic ECDIS course.
The 5-day EDCIS course is designed to enhance the safety of navigation by providing the knowledge and skills necessary to fully utilize ECDIS. This course is done in partnership with Maritime Professional Training (MPT) and will be conducted at MPT and utilizes their ECDIS equipment laboratory simulators. The ECDIS uses TRANSAS Software which meets IMO performance standards.
This course satisfies the following STCW Code as amended, including the 2010 amendments, training requirements.
- Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code
- Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code
- Table A-II/3 of the STCW Code
- Use, Installation and Correction of Electronic Charts
- Validity of Sensor Data (including radar overlay)
- Potential Errors of Interpretation
- Selecting Operation Settings and Alarms for Route Monitoring
- Navigational Calculations
- Route Planning and Scheduling
- Accessing Ship’s Log and Data Playback Functions
- ARPA, AIS and Trial Maneuver Functions
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Electronic Chart Display Information System (ECDIS) (MARTPT-179) course will satisfy:
The ECDIS training requirements within 46 CFR 11.305; 46 CFR 11.307; 46 CFR 11.309; 46 CFR 11.311; 46 CFR 11.313; 46 CFR 11.315; 46 CFR 11.317; 46 CFR 11.319; and 46 CFR 11.321; AND
The assessment tasks 6.1 – 6.7 in NVICs 10-14(Ch-2), 11 -14(Ch-1) and 03-18, AND
The assessment tasks 4.1 and 4.2 in NVICs 12-14 (Ch-2) and 02-18; AND
The assessment task 1.7.A in NVIC 13-14(Ch-1)
Applicants who have successfully completed this course need not present completed “Task Control Sheets” for these assessments in application for STCW certification.