The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System General Operator’s certificate (GMDSS) is a Certificate of Competence (CoC) which is required to obtain an MCA Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certification.
This course is required for anyone that will be required to have any radio communication duties on a vessel that is GMDSS compliant.
Course Pricing – See All
- Global Maritime Distress & Safety Systems (GMDSS) GOC – 10 Days – $1,899
This 10-day course (plus examinations which may take an extra day or more to complete) is required for all deck officers or radio operators serving on vessels equipped with GMDSS Equipment or candidates for OOW 3000 ton or over or MCA Master of Code Vessel 200 ton with Unlimited Route.
This MCA / AMERC approved course will satisfy the GMDSS Training of STCW A-IV/2 for GOC. This course is done in partnership with Maritime Professional Training (MPT) and will be conducted at MPT and utilizes their GMDSS Live Station Equipment Labs.
This MCA Course and Exam are preferred for foreign flags requiring a General Operators Certificate.
Subjects & Equipment Include for The Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems (GMDSS) course:
- Satellite Systems
- Terrestrial Communications
- Transmission and Reception of Distress
- Alerts and Messages
- Maritime Safety Information
- INMARSAT A/B/C
- MF/HF Transceivers (Single Side Band)
- MF/HF NBDP – Narrow Band Direct Printing Modems
- MF/HF DSC – Digital Selective Calling Controllers
- VHF Radio Telephones
- VHF DSC – Digital Selective Calling Controllers
- NAVTEX Receivers
- 406 mHz EPIRBS – Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacons
- Search & Rescue Transponders (SARTS)
- Survival Craft Transceivers
- Reserve Sources of Energy with Integrated Chargers
- Antenna Systems (terrestrial and satellite)
Please Note: Testing may extend to the Saturday and Sunday after the final day of class. Please make all travel arrangements accordingly.