The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System General Operator’s certificate (GMDSS)is a Certificate of Competence (CoC) which is required to obtain an MCA Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certification.
This course is required for anyone that will be required to have any radio communication duties on a vessel that is GMDSS compliant.
- 10 Days
- Radio communication experience
- Phonetic alphabet
- 10 Students (max)
The course covers a mixture of theory and practical applications as part of the GMDSS requirements. This includes practical radio operations, regulations and procedures for emergencies and distress and the practice and understanding of radio communication.
The Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems (GMDSS) course covers:
- Knowledge and practice of radio procedures for distress, urgency and safety.
- Knowledge and practice of general radio regulations, including commercial traffic handling.
- Basic maintenance: Location and replacement of fuses and use of built-in test facilities.
- Operation of VHF and MF/HF transceivers with digital selective calling, MF/HF telex, INMARSAT standard C satellite communications, ‘Fleet 77, NAVTEX receivers, search and rescue transponders (SART) and emergency position indication radio beacons (EPIRB).